Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Farmer Duck is 25 Years Old!

Readers everywhere are so lucky Farmer Duck by Martin Waddell and Helen Oxenbury is being celebrated by Candlewick Press.  In 1992 it made it's first appearance in the inaugural list of new books for Candlewick Press.  Together they have had an integral part in developing readers.

This book couldn't be more timely to be revisited.  We need books about friendship, justice, and fairness.  Poor Duck does all the work around the farm while the farmer lays in bed eating chocolates and being lazy.  Even though it's summer, I think I need to find a group of emergent readers to join in and chorally read this with me.  I can hear them in my head after I read, "How goes the work?"  They read with energy, "Quack".  The animals plot how to get the farmer out of bed and their plan surprised me a bit.  It leaves the animals working together to run the farm.  While the text appears perfect for emerging readers I think older students would have a lot to say around justice and fairness.  I'm also thinking it's a great visual for teamwork.

As I read this book, I thought it would pair well with Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin.  A huge shoutout to Candlewick Press for this copy to preview.

No comments:

Post a Comment