Wednesday, August 10, 2016

10 Picture Books I've Purchased Since Moving to Second Grade - #pb10for10

I've been teaching second grade again for two years now and I'm getting ready to start my third year.  I tried to get creative with a theme but that didn't feel right.  I tried to think of my ultimate go to picture books but felt the core set has been shared in previous years.  Then I began wondering about what I've purchased since moving up to second grade.  My account history shows more nonfiction/content picture books, and early chapter books and honestly not as many picture books.  Since I'm purchasing fewer picture books, I believe these are going to turn into those must have picture books and as I look over this collection they are all books I use at the beginning of the year.  I bet I discover some must have picture books today for later in the school year from everyone joining #pb10for10.





How to Read a Story by Kate Messner
A great way to share the process readers use while reading.





I Wish You More by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Wishes aren't just for birthdays or seeing the first star at night.  I usually read this story at the end of the year but I'm thinking about starting the year with it and then revisiting it at the end of the year.









What Do You Do with An Idea? by Kobi Yamada
Let your ideas sit with you and grow into something big.










Rufus the Writer by Elizabeth Bram
Why have a lemonade stand when you can have a story stand?










Limelight Larry by Leah Hodgkinson
Limelight Larry discovers it's always better to do things together than on your own.










Wolfe the Bunny by Amy Dyckman
We need to model and encourage bravery.








My Cousin Momo by Zacharaha O'Hora
We need to encourage and embrace doing things differently.






The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires
Who doesn't need a great book about persistence.











My Teacher is Not a Monster by Peter Brown
Not that anyone would think I am a monster but I find this a fun light hearted book to help dismiss little worries about the new teacher.











The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes by Gary Rubinstein
We all need to know mistakes help us learn.
SaveSave

13 comments:

  1. Some of my true favorites are on here -- for instance, the Krouse Rosenthal and and Spires books -- are on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to think about the picture books we choose to purchase. I own half of these and love them all. One of them is on my list this year! Wolfie the Bunny was on our Mock Caldecott list this year - my students adored it! Beautiful selections. I will be curious to see your "must purchase list" after reading all of the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks, Wolfie the bunny looks particularly fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love so many of these. I always read The Most Magnificent Thing to start a discussion about perseverance. My students have loved My Teacher is a Monster. Rufus the Writer is a cute one. Another one I use for writing inspiration is Ralph Tells a Story. I've never read The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes. I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Mandy, here we go again. It's hard to believe we are on year seven of celebrating picture books and sharing favorites from our libraries. I love this event. I love the community. I love all of the picture books. However, it's also very dangerous. I know a trip to the bookstore will surely follow.

    You have some great titles here, and a few that I haven't read yet. I can't wait to check out: Rufus the Writer and The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes. Wolfe the Bunny might be one of my all time favorites. I don't think you can go wrong with that title ever. Like you, I have a Kobi Yamada title in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know many of these, & they are wonderful, but thanks for all, I added a few to my list! My granddaughter will be a 2nd grader this year, will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Mandy. Thanks for co-hosting yet another terrific event! I've only worked through a few lists but I've got many titles to order already. Thanks for recommending My Cousin Momo and Rufus the writer. Both will be great additions for the Doucette Library's collection.
    Tammy
    Apples with Many Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this list - so many fabulous titles. I'm off to request the three I haven't read: Limelight Larry, The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes, and My Cousin Momo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Collecting books is definitely a passion. I can feel your passion as you shared these titles you have purchased. Great list! I wonder what you will be buying next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great titles, Mandy! All books I have read and own most of ... several I picked up after they were mentioned last year! I want to reread Limelight Larry and Rufus the Writer. My theme last year was based on "I wish you more ..." Thanks for hosting such a fabulous event! Happy reading and buying more books! - Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just added a few more to my holds list! ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone on Twitter just recommended The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes as a growth mindset book (my theme this year)! I'm putting it on my TBR list! Thank you so much for bringing this picture book community together!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've included many of my favorites, Mandy, but I haven't seen Rufus the Writer or Limelight Larry. Off to check them out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete