Monday, July 1, 2013

#mathinmyworld example

                                                   
Here is some summer goodness from my garden.  I love opening up the pea pod and counting how many peas are inside in all.  I counted 6.  My brain instantly thought of 3 plus 3 but I didn't see that in my pea pod.  Then I thought of 3 groups of 2, but I didn't see that either.  What I saw was a different combination for 6. 
                                           
This was a brief moment of math in my world.  It was a great moment to think of quantity and number combinations.  It also showed some fact fluency and flexibility.  I think the first photo will make a great math warm up discussion.  I can't wait to see what my students see and think about.  Maybe we will each have to open up our own pea pod and do a sketch about what we see in math.
I hope you will consider joining the fun by either sharing a photo via twitter or instagram using the hashtag #mathinmyworld


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this real world example of math. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Mandy. Pea pods are wonderful manipulatives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Bookmarking this for next year��

    ReplyDelete