Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pencil and Paper Games for kids

Pencil and Paper Games for kids by Jane Kemp and Clare Walters was a great little discount find on vacation.  This collection of games is geared for children 3-11.  I picked it up to find things to use in my classroom for my Family Math activities but found many more things I could use in the classroom.  Our earliest writers might benefit from Chapter One, drawing activities.  Our early readers through transitional readers might benefit from Alphabet and letter games or Word games.  I'm thinking these might be one way to have parent volunteers spend time with students.  There is a chapter with Number games.   I think older students will enjoy the Tricks, jokes and illusions intriguing.  Even our social studies experts can find games that use maps, mazes and codes. 

I think it's important for students to play games with others for interactions with people.  I think it helps with thinking, often strategically.  I think it's important to show students paper and pencil can be a lot of fun.  You will find some classic games you may have forgotten, Word within words.  There's a new name for the game, Boxes - Lion and Tiger.  Something that is nice for the reader is each activity starts with the age range, number of players, and what you will need.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment